Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Character Names

I won't pick up a book where I can't figure out how to pronounce a main character's name or if the name just looks annoying.  (This is why I have avoided a lot of high fantasy for a long time!)  I love it when books have great character names that suit the time, place, character itself, and just sound fun and perhaps slightly different.

Here are my top 5 favorite female and male character names (that I can remember) .  Admittedly, I am not great at remembering character names.

Ladies first:

5.  Tris - The Divergent trilogy

Even though Tris is a nickname, I had to put it on this list.  It's easy to say and simple but different.

4.  Alina - The Grisha trilogy

Alina is another simple, easy name.  I find it beautiful and feminine, and it fits the vaguely Eastern European setting well.

3.  Mirren - We Were Liars

I had never heard this name before, but it's beautiful in a preppy, upper class kind of way.

2.  Crissa - Cold Shot to the Heart

I love the name Crissa.  It sounds like a more modern update to the Christine/Chrissy/Kristin family of names.

1.  Sarafine - The Caster Chronicles series

Ok, so, Sarafine is a villain in this series, but you've gotta love this name.  It's interesting, different, and beautiful. (I actually prefer Seraphina, but I didn't read that book, so I'm not adding it to this list.)

Gentlemen:

5.  Holden - The Catcher in the Rye

I'm not sure why I'm drawn to the name Holden.  It seems like another preppy-type name that's just a little outside of mainstream.

4.  Ranger - Stephanie Plum series

I would never name a kid Ranger or anything, but it suits the character and I don't think I've ever read or met another Ranger.

3.  Finnick - The Hunger Games trilogy

I love how different most of the names are in this series, but Finnick is probably my favorite because I feel it would translate really well to the real world.

2.  Merik - Truthwitch

Honestly, the names are one of the things I enjoyed most about Truthwitch.  (Safi is an honorable mention to my favorite female names list.)  I think Merik is a fun name - easy to say but unusual.

1.  Kai - The Lunar Chronicles series

I love Kai...the character and the name, even though it's technically a nickname.

Check out the Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads group to find other people's lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment