2016 was a trainwreck in many respects, but I do have to say that it was awesome for me for reading!
I ended up completing 51 books and completing the 2016 Popsugar Reading Challenge. 51 is a tie with 2011 for my best reading year ever, and I surpassed my Goodreads goal by 1.
- I finally have gotten into audiobooks! I ended up completing 5: To Kill A Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz, Dracula by Bram Stoker, and The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick.
- Of the 51 books I read, 3 were re-reads: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling.
- I read one poetry collection (Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti), one short story collection (Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri), and two graphic novels (Nimona by Noelle Stevenson and Through the Woods by Emily Carroll). Of the remaining 47, there were 12 non-fiction and 35 fiction, which were a fairly even split of adult and YA.
- I completed two series: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (4 books) and The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel (duology).
- My shortest book was The Demon in the Wood by Leigh Bardugo (Grisha trilogy prequel) at 30 pages. My longest book was Winter by Marissa Meyer at 832 pages. My average book length was 304 pages, and I read a total of 15,520 pages.
- I enjoyed most of the books I read, giving 7 books five stars and 6 books four-and-a-half stars. I had no one star books, 2 two star books, and 3 two-and-a-half star books In retrospect, I would probably change some of my ratings, but in general, I just stick with my initial star rating/gut reaction. (The lists below are in order of completion, not any kind of ranking.)
5 Star Reads:
- Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
- Night by Elie Wiesel
- Winter by Marissa Meyer
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
- You by Caroline Kepnes
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
4 1/2 Star Reads:
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
- Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
- The Book of Ivy by Amy Engel