Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Monthly Recommendations: 1 Year

I'm late to the Monthly Recommendations party, but better late than never.  Monthly Recommendations was started one year by two awesome Booktubers, Kayla Rayne and Trina (from Between Chapters).  This month, the topic was a new recommendation in each of the categories they featured over the past year.  I've never participated before, mainly because it was difficult to come up with multiple books in each category.  One for each I can do.  :)

An underrated book:  Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie
Chick lit at its finest.  Sexy and hilarious.  Why has this book not been made into a movie yet?!

A book set in school:  Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman
A teacher's perspective in the 1960s.  Read it and discover how much things have changed and how much they haven't.

A creepy book:  And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Great if you like creepiness without horror.

A trilogy:  Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins
There are definitely other trilogies I prefer (Hunger Games, Divergent), but you've probably already read them.  Give Hex Hall a try if you like YA paranormal.

A book I think others should read ASAP:  The Progeny by Tosca Lee
Fast-paced genre-bending thriller.

A fantasy book:  Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
Enjoyable graphic novel that plays with the concepts of heroes and villains.

A book with little to no romance:  Primary Colors by Anonymous
In honor of election year, check out this book not-so-loosely based on Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign.

A standalone:  We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
You'll probably either love it or hate it.  Personally, I loved it.

My favorite survival story:  Night by Elie Wiesel
Memoir of a concentration camp survivor.  Amazing.

My favorite book friendship:  Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
Bet you're surprised to see this one on my list, if you've read my previous comments relating to this book.  I guess this goes to show that the world needs more friendship stories as opposed to romance plots.

A book set outside the U.S.:  Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Honestly, it's been a really long time since I read this, but I remember loving it.

A book with my favorite empowering female character:  We the Living by Ayn Rand
This would definitely be Katniss in The Hunger Games, but going a bit more obscure, and probably even darker in its own way, I've gotta give props to Kira in We the Living.

No comments:

Post a Comment