Friday, September 30, 2016

September Wrap Up / October TBR

I completed 4 out of the 6 books on my September TBR.  I consider that a success.

Total Read in 2016: 38
Popsugar Reading Challenge Progress: 34 out of 40

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
Completed 9/5/16
Fulfills Popsugar Reading Challenge #16: A political memoir
Rating: 3.75 out of 5

I struggle to give this book a rating. It took me FOREVER to get through - over a month. Malala as a person is truly fantastic and a voice that I hope will we hear much more from over the next 50 years. I learned a lot reading this book. However, the writing for much of the book wasn't particularly engaging (there was a journalist helping her write the book). Sometimes it did feel like an extended history lesson or news report.

I would recommend picking it up as a physical book instead of an ebook because there is a glossary that is helpful for unfamiliar terms...but since I had the ebook version I didn't realize it until I had already finished the book. 


The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
Completed 9/22/16
Fulfills Popsugar Reading Challenge #27: A murder mystery
Counts toward the R.I.P. Challenge
Rating: 4 out of 5
Check out my review.


One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
Completed 9/25/16
Fulfills Popsugar Reading Challenge #36: A book about a road trip
Rating: 3.75 out of 5

I've been struggling with how I feel about this book. There was a lot to like about it, but it took me quite awhile to get through and parts of it dragged a bit.

It was "deeper" than I expected, and the characters were well developed, particularly the two children.


Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
Completed 9/28/18 (audiobook)
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

I know I'm in the extreme minority on this, but I really liked this book, perhaps because I'm not incredibly attached to To Kill a Mockingbird. The plot, such as it is, meandered a bit for the first half, but no more so than in TKAM. I liked the little anecdotes of Jean Louise/Scout's adolescence in between the times of the two stories. But most of all I could really feel her disillusionment.  


OCTOBER TBR:
Currently reading:


Also hope to complete:




No comments:

Post a Comment