Tuesday, February 9, 2016

REVIEW: Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #2)
Completed 2/9/16
Fulfills 2016 Popsugar Challenge #1: A book based on a fairy tale
Rating: 3.75 out of 5





I was fully prepared to give this book a 3-3.25 rating until the last 40-50 or so pages when the action really picks up.

Overall, I did not enjoy the Scarlet/Wolf storyline nearly as much as Cinder, but I suppose it's a means to an end (i.e. advancing the overall plot of the series). I feel like Scarlet is a really flat character with virtually no personality other than her love for her grandmother and her insta-love for Wolf. That's pretty much it. I hope the last two books in the series keep her much more in the background.

Cinder's continuing story is interspersed with Scarlet's, and I did enjoy her chapters...her unexpected sarcastic bits of humor are great, and her interaction with new character Thorne is fantastic. Thank goodness for these scenes.

When the double narratives finally unite towards the end of the book, I started enjoying it much more, and it definitely motivated me to keep reading the series. 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Cinder but I haven't read Scarlet yet. I started it but I was in a reading slump at the time so I didn't finish it even though I remember liking what I had read of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it another chance! I think the double narratives made it take a little longer to read than Cinder, at least for me, but it was still pretty good.

    ReplyDelete