Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Books I Did Not Finish

Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads Group

I tend to see a book through regardless of whether or not I like it, so I don't have a huge list of books I did not finish.  (I'm not including former school reads for this list.)

1.  Legend by Marie Lu
Likelihood of finishing in the future: Slim



Legend is the first book in a highly popular dystopian trilogy.  I abandoned it halfway through when my library ebook expired.  I never cared enough to renew it because I felt the world building was a bit lacking.  I had finished The Hunger Games and Divergent trilogies not too long before starting this book, so perhaps my standards at that point were a bit too high.









2.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Likelihood of finishing in the future: Slim



Someone gave me this book as a birthday present when I was about 12.  It is probably the oldest book I've had continuously on my bookshelf.  I took it to college...then grad school...then my own house when I moved out from my parents' home.  Every couple of years I think I should make an attempt to read it, and every time I DNF.  I think the farthest I've ever gotten was approximately 100 pages.  I just don't care for the writing...maybe I'm jaded, but it feels kind of saccharine sweet and somewhat too religious for me.








3.  The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Likelihood of finishing in the future: Possible


I've checked The Magicians out as an ebook twice...and abandoned it twice.  Once I think I got about a quarter in and the other time about a third.  I did actually enjoy the part of it that I read, particularly the second time when I got further.  I may resume in the future if I'm in the mood.










4.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Likelihood of finishing in the future: Probable


I know some people might find it surprising that this was a DNF for me.  I enjoyed the beginning, but once I got to the middle, I felt it was dragging.  I think part of the problem may have been that I was trying to read it during the middle of the summer and I just needed something lighter at the time.  And, again, my library ebook expired.









5.  Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Likelihood of finishing in the future:  It will happen...someday.


We the Living by Ayn Rand is one of my all-time favorite books, so someone gave me Atlas Shrugged as a gift assuming I would enjoy that one too.  It is the longest book I have ever seen, let alone read.  We're talking 1,168 pages.  I've gotten as far as page 125 before I've given up, even though I was enjoying it.  It's just intimidation and book ADD.  But it will happen.  Maybe a 2017 challenge to myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment