Saturday, January 16, 2016

REVIEW: Postcards from the Edge (spoiler)

Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher
Completed 1/15/16
Fulfills 2016 Popsugar Challenge #15: A book written by a celebrity
Rating: 4.5 out of 5



**MILD SPOILERS BELOW**

I picked up this book in honor of the new Star Wars release since it's written by none other than Princess Leia herself.

I've heard of the movie of the same title but haven't seen it. I was under the impression that the book would be mostly about the drug use of the main character (Suzanne) and her conflicted relationship with her mother. The book actually takes place after Suzanne has stopped doing drugs and, to my pleasant surprise, she does not relapse. Her mother is barely in the book at all. Indeed she is pretty much on her own in the world. 

The first third of the book is actually set primarily in the drug rehab and alternates points-of-view between Suzanne and another patient, Alex, who does relapse. If you ever watched Celebrity Rehab on VH1, you will probably enjoy this part of the book. I've never used drugs and after this book I certainly don't want to, but I feel the descriptions were excellent and really put the reader in the mindset of an addict.

The remaining two-thirds of the book follow Suzanne as she attempts to function sober and navigate the world of dating and finding work as a an actress. It really surprised me how much I identified with Suzanne even though her situation is totally different than anything I've experienced. I feel that I would have similar reactions if I were put in her situation, and I struggle with similar feelings. I loved the sarcastic humor too. 

The only reason I'm deducting a half-star for the book is for the ending. Even though I was rooting for Suzanne to get her life together all the way along, I felt everything was tied up a little too neatly. For instance, of the five or so characters who were introduced at the rehab, all but one were given glowing happy endings, which I didn't feel was necessarily realistic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment